10/02/2006
The Day That Time Stood Still
I've been pretty quiet and those that are very very observant might notice that my adoption travel ticker is no longer up on the site. I've been very very sad and very very much in denial and was waiting for more info. I still don't have more info. But here I am.

On Friday morning I got an email from my husband saying that travel....the travel we had hoped to make in the next 3 weeks...may be postponed to December due to the APEC conference. I know we are supposed to know that this kind of thing can happen. In fact, I *knew* about this conference months ago and specifically asked my agency about the possibility of interference twice. But I was prepared for government hiccups delaying things a few days or keeping us in-country for an extra week. I was prepared for government hiccups requiring us to pay extra high prices for hotel rooms. I was not prepared for a jump from meeting our daughter in October to meeting her in December. In fact, I can't reconcile it at all and immediately broke down. This can't happen. I can't wait any more. And although most of it is my need to be with my daughter, a big part of it is that my entire life is on hold and things are spiraling out of control around me while we wait for this adoption to be completed. Sorry to be so cryptic but I'm trying to convey the sense of urgency and my complete and utter sense of loss that this new caused.

Right around this same time, I got a phone call from my Mom who has been having some medical issues and had some tests done that morning. She was calling to share with me the news that she had been diagnosed with colon cancer.

On Friday morning my world stopped moving, time stood still.

To say I have not been coping well would be an understatement. I am worried about my Mom. I am worried about my daughter. I can't handle having my life on hold anymore.

So we are likely packing up ship and heading out to Vietnam, in whole or in part. I will probably stay back to help my Mom through her impending surgery while my husband travels to Addison, even if just to visit. We are prepared for the long haul but better that she spend the long haul with her parent than in an orphanage. Maybe I'm still in denial. And desperate.

I'll keep you posted as I get my bearings on this new reality I call my life. All positive thoughts and prayers are welcome, particularly those directed to my Mother and my Daughter.
posted by Stepping On Legos at 10/02/2006§


Comments:
I'm strongly into denial. I think it's a wonderful defense mechanism and will work nicely for you until you are ready to process all that is happening around you. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. My father-in-law has had colon cancer twice and is healthier and more active than ever before. I'll pray for the same for your mom. And your darling baby girl will be with you soon. Until then, denial is a good place to be :)
 
That is more hard knocks than one person should have to endure in a day. Your mother, your child, your husband, and you will be in my prayers.
 
Oh Nicki, I'm so sorry.

There is hope for colon cancer - my uncle is now a 2 year survivor and doing really well. Be proactive in making sure she gets the best possible medical care and the best doctors and always ask for a 2nd opinion.
 
First and foremost- I'm sending all my positive love and energy to your family right now. Please have your mom look into taking Essiac along with her course of treatment- I now know two people personally (one with breast, other with lung/brain/kidney cancer) who have had miraculous results with it. It's amazing stuff.

So your family might be moving to Vietnam until things finally come together? That's amazing.

- chel, cause blogger won't let me log in anymore
 
You know you have my prayers, for both your mom and daughter. It's bad enough knowing some political conference is keeping us from our kids... but to add to that news about your mom, well that's a lot for one woman to bear. I'm sorry, I wish I knew how to make it all better.
 
:(
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, Nicki. And to hear that you may have to wait longer for your girlie is just sad. I hope things work out faster than expected...
xoxo
 
Nicki-
I am so sorry.
I will be praying for you.
Praying for a miracle for your girl and for your mom.
Jena
 
What can I say but that I am sorry life is so rotten right now. Hopefully this week will bring good news or at least a brighter perspective. Take your time with it all and know that soon one of you will be with your baby!
 
Oh, Nicki, I'm so sorry. Either one of those things would be a lot to deal with. Together? I can only imagine I would be right with you in denial. Huge hugs and y'all are in my prayers. All of you.
 
I am so so sorry about all of this. It is just not fair to you or your family. I wish so badly that there was something that I could say or do to make you feel better in some way. I am here for you.
 
I am so sorry. That is a lot to go through and have the strength for all at once. Your mother and daughter will be in my thoughts and prayers.
 
There is nothing one can say or do to make this easier for you, so I won't try. If it helps at all, do know that my thoughts and prayers are with you, your mom, and your family. Know that you are loved and cherished by many, and valued by more people than you will ever know.
God's peace
 
Oh Nicki, this is a horrible double whammy :( I'm sorry to hear it. Best wishes and best prayers to Mom and Addison!
 
Nicki,
So sorry to hear this! I wish I could be of more help but I just don't know what to say to make any of this better. We'll be thinking about you, your mother and of course baby Addison!
 
Nicki-
What a challenging time. I cannot imagine what you are going through.
I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Emily
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>