9/28/2006
All The Fingers On One Hand
That's how old Addison is today. 5 months old! 5 months of orphanage life. 5 months without a Mother or a Father. 5 months of growing and learning and understanding the world through a whole different lens than what she will soon experience.

According to Baby Center
Addison should be learning to roll over and entertain herself by playing with her hands and feet. I am pleased to note that, based on her latest pictures, she has hit both of these milestones.

It goes on to say that she can also recognize her name and turn toward sounds. This makes me feel guilty for even considering changing her name to Addison. I have a long history of guilt when it comes to given names. Both of my current dogs came with names, neither of which I could bring myself to change despite hating the names. Really silly, particularly with our newest dog, since he was a new tiny puppy when we brought him home. It doesn't help me to know that her name was likely chosen by the orphanage she resides in. If she can recognize it, somehow it feels like she owns it. It is a part of her. How do I just opt to strip that part of who she is?

It goes on to say that she may be learning to sit momentarily without support. She may be mouthing things. And ::cringe:: she may be experiencing stranger anxiety. Meet me: stranger. Stranger Mommy. I hope, selfishly, that living in an orphanage makes stranger anxiety less intense. At the same time, I know it is a sign of a well bonded baby and I definitely hope she is bonding and feeling love toward her nannies.

I know that in the grand scheme of one's lifetime, 5 months is hardly anything. But it is everything for her, her entire lifetime, the sum total of all her experiences to date. I miss sharing that with her.

Soon enough, my sweet baby girl, soon enough. Hopefully we will celebrate six fingers together.
posted by Stepping On Legos at 9/28/2006§


Comments:
Happy 5 month birthday little Addison. I know this day has to be hard for you Nicki, I hope you get word of travel very soon.

I stress about the name change thing all the time - I mean Zeeb is 3 years old for heaven's sake, talk about knowing his name! But his VN name has a bad meaning if you pronounce it wrong and I really want to give him a name. So we'll call him both and let him choose or just let him have a double name forever!
 
awww, happy 5 month birthday, sweet baby.
Hugs to your mama.
 
Awwwww!!!
Happy 5 Month BDay Addy!!! I can't wait to meet her. Her sweet little hand and that sweet little button nose. She is truly beautiful!!!
 
I really worried about the name change thing when we adopted our first son, but when he came home from Korea (9mo) he was so overwhelemed he didn't respond to his Korean name anyway (a Korean neighbor had taught us how to pronounce it correctly, so that wasn't the issue). After a few days I just stopped trying and we used only his American name, and a week or so after that he started to respond to that name. But I totally understand how you feel -- I felt like I was robbing him of something and at the same time I felt the need to protect him from potentially hurtful mispronunciations.
 
Happy 5 month birthday Addison!! I hope your momma gets to you very soon. I am thinking about you guys!
 
Hang in there! You will be holding her in your arms before you know it. Hard to imagine the day isn't it!
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>