2/27/2006
The Good and The Bad
On the adoption front, it's all good! We had our final home study meeting (the much anticipated home visit) and it was very lovely. The kids did great, I'm very proud of them! She didn't specifically say we passed but she spoke of the home study as a done deal, said it would be ready to send to INS in a week, so that means we passed! Probably she never really thought we wouldn't, unlike me :-P

The bad part isn't really related to adoption but it has totally ruined my day. RIGHT in the middle of the visit today, my 11 year old son (who has never been big on tact) announces that his biological father told him and my 8yo son, last night, that he was going to "take some custody". A little background: He's a total loser deadbeat who owes massive amounts of child support. Last week he went to court and they ruled that he pay a few grand in two weeks and I'm sure that sent him off the deep end. He's always been totally unstable even though he can see the boys as much as he wants, he's always limited his time to just one day a week for two hours (or less, sometimes, very rarely more). He's NEVER had them overnight, never participates in their life, etc. He's pretty much just an occasional visitor in their life. But apparently he got it into his head that he can avoid child support by taking custody of the kid! It's ludicrous and doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of happening but the reason I am totally devastated is because he is now taking out his anger by putting my boys in the middle. He talked to them all about what leaches my husband and I are for "living off" his child support and the support of my husband's ex-wife (she doesn't actually pay any either, by the way). And how he is going to take us to court for custody and I don't even KNOW what else he told them. That is all they were willing to talk about and I don't want to put them even more in the middle by prying.

So, even though we are one HUGE step closer to our daughter, I feel like this huge ominous black cloud hanging over my head and I have NO Idea what to do :-(

And, incidentally, I really really REALLY HATE drama.
posted by Stepping On Legos at 2/27/2006§


Comments:
I'm sorry about that! How lame. Kudos for keeping it together after hearing that!
I see your list is almost half crossed off though!

~nicole
 
Oh how frustrating to have a bombshell like that dropped right when things seem to be coming together for the adoption. You deserve serious credit for putting your kids' feelings first... that takes a lot of strength. Hopefully the ex will see what a ridiculous, futile fight it would be for him and drop the whole thing.
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>