2/11/2006
questions....
Ok, I've looked over the agency packet and, as always, I have a bazillion questions. I feel like such a dummy in this process! I don't like not understanding. I've already rattled off a bunch of emails to my agency but here are my questions......

  1. Do we need to get our passport photos state certified? Because they are on the list of documents to be state certified and I thought that was maybe an error!? LOL No, these are fine the way they are :-P


  2. What is a gold seal and how do we find a notary who uses them? We found them but also found out we don't need them. Since we already have some documents notarized, this is a good thing :-)


  3. How do we notarize our vital records? We don't actually SIGN them so how can they be notarized?! And why bother? Our agency included a form that we staple onto the vital record. That is notraized and then state certified so we won't have to go to the trouble of getting new vital records. Yay!


  4. Do I need to state certify my certificate of birth abroad? (I found this info online and the answer is NO - yay - it is already certified to the greatest extent possible - the benefits of having an annoying certificate abroad, I guess :-P)

  5. Is the police clearance needed for the dossier the STATE clearance? I found some info online from our state department about getting a police clearance through the state that involves going to my local PD, getting fingerprinted and sending the print card to the state we live in for processing which can take up to a month. Is this what we need to do? I thought I read other people just go do this in person on a local level. And how is this different than the clearance that BCIS does or that our homestudy does? Local clearance is fine. Woot!


Ok, that's it. Any help, anyone?!?! Have pity on me!
posted by Stepping On Legos at 2/11/2006§


Comments:
The only thing I know anything about would be #5.
We were told that local police clearance was ok. So we're having our city police dept do it. (we've live in the state our whole lives so that might have something to do with it.) You'll show up with your ID, they'll pull you up on the computer, print you off a sheet that says that you're good to go. It should be something they can do while you're standing there. They will also notarize it for you if you request that. (Disclamer: This process may vary by state. Call your state/local PD and just ask them...they are usually really accomadating.)

~Nicole
Please excuse my terrible spelling! I don't have my google toolbar with spell check in this window!! haha
 
1. We did *not* have to have our passport photos notarized/certified.

2. It's a gold sticker, you can buy a pack of them at Office Depot (Click on link to see stickers)

3.The state that issues the vital record does the "notarizing". It varies by State, but generally you order your birth certificate from the office of vital records and ask for a "certified copy"...then you take that and send it to the Secretary of State for the authentication seal. For better info, see The Assistant Stork

5. We got our police clearance from our county sheriff's office (because we're not in the city limits). They had info on how to request the letter online and I just printed it out and sent in a check and got the letters back in less than a week. Very easy.

*note* these things vary by agency - this is how my agency directed us to do things.
 
It looks like you got these things taken care of! Your paper-trail looks like it's getting smaller!! YAY!
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>