10/28/2006
To All You Unorganized People.....

You are SO onto something.

Because here I sit. It is 9:30am and we can't leave until noon at the earliest. The kids are antsy and sick of waiting. I am antsy and sick of waiting. I don't even know what to do with myself.

Who amongst you wrote in your blog that you were anxious not to do too much too soon to avoid thumb-twiddling? You were RIGHT ON!!!!!!!

Interesting conversations we've had to pass the time this morning:

  • America's Funniest Home Videos featured a video of a family about to eat a fish - full fish, head and tail included - that was SURPRISE not dead yet. This story was repeated no less than four times.
  • Can a 12 year old boy go fishing by himself in Vietnam as long as he has a walkie-talkie? He says yes. I say no. And also? Who wants to spend their time in Vietnam fishing? Well I KNOW who!! Hint: it isn't me. And also if you touch the fish and the water and then pick your nose - not good. Just sayin'.
  • Don't make gagging sounds or stick your finger in your mouth in a gagging motion. It is rude. It is offensive enough in our culture but in other cultures they would be personally offended. Just don't do it or any variation on the theme while we are in Vietnam. Or ever. But especially in Vietnam.
  • How is it exactly that airplanes stay in the air? Because I'm not so sure it is possible much less for 22 hours straight. Following was a suggestion by my oldest that I should perhaps become an aeronautic engineer in order to relieve my fears. I didn't have the heart to tell him I'll just relieve my fears through pharmaceuticals. haha
  • Will we eat here for lunch today? Or out? Never mind that it is 7am, kids need to know these things. Which prompted a reminder to lecture the kids on how they shouldn't even bother asking us what we will do every single day in Vietnam because we won't know and it isn't up to us. Haha. That is the ultimate torture to my kids. Is it mean that I'm looking forward to it? I'll save this lecture for a point in time, on the plane, when I am bored and need entertainment :-)
  • No we don't need to bring sweatshirts, Mom. Seriously, Mom. It is 100 degrees in Vietnam. It isn't going to get cold enough for a sweatshirt. You are crazy, Mom.
  • Will we be able to watch a cock fight? Seriously this was a conversation we had this morning. I guess my boys' father, who was born in HCMC, has memories of going to watch cock fights and has encouraged the boys to try to do this while they are in Vietnam. Sounds like a great family day out. Fishing and cock fighting. This is sure going to be a vacation!!!!
Well I only wasted a few minutes typing this up. Not long enough. I guess that means I am going to have to drag out the vacuum and clean some more. Such a shame.
posted by Stepping On Legos at 10/28/2006§


Comments:
Nicki, I can't believe you're down to the last 4 hrs before you leave! Have a safe trip (bring the sweatshirts for the airplane and for when you come home, even if you won't need them in Vietnam!). Good luck with the fishing and cock fighting - probably not things that are typically arranged as part of an adoption trip, but I bet you can find them! I hope everything goes super smoothly for you with the trip and getting Addison, and I can't wait to hear every detail and hopefully see lots and lots of pictures! This is really it - Bon Voyage!!!!!!!!!
 
Nicki,

For some reason, I thought you were leaving yesterday, so, while at the Detroit airport yesterday picking up my brother-in-law, I kept craning around, looking for you guys, hoping to say bon voyage! So, I'll say it now! Bon Voyage!!

Gretchen
 
Oh my word!
You are hilarious!!!
Good Grief!
Jena
 
If only I was more like you, organized and all that.
I would LOVE to sit around killing time before leaving on a trip. Perhpas I'd use the time to do something like put up Christmas decorations early, or paint my toenails, perhaps even some fun art project with the kids as I never have time any other day seeing as how I am never ready to go and there is never time to fit it in!
When our time comes to leave, however, I will ensue the expected panic of last minute to-do's and when someone complains, I will tell them it comes HIGHLY recommended by someone who has been there done that.
Best to you and hopefully we'll see you over there. My kids would be glad to see someone to play with after a long plane ride!
 
Funny conversations Nicki!!

And I just HAVE you say I just glanced up at your countdown and saw it saying "The countdown is over!...Hooray!" and I got this great warm feeling that you are no longer home but ON YOUR WAY for Addison!! What a great feeling! :)
 
BWAHAHAHAHAHA when do you land????
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>