10/30/2006
Halloween Update

HAPPY HALLOWEEN  – we made it through the night!  I eventually got more sleep and everyone except me got up around 4:30am. I slept for a few more hours which I desperately needed. In fact I’m thinking of claiming a bed all my own for tonight so I can get some real deep restorative sleep. Right now I feel TERRIFIC thanks to Comtrex with a side cocktail of Advil. Haha. I sure hope I don’t run out of cold meds as they are very expensive here. But it would be worth it for this relief. I thought I’d die from the pain in my neck when I woke up this morning (swollen glands). That stuff is magic!

 

My plan is to lay low today and just focus on getting rested and relaxed, settled in and healed. We had a great breakfast at the hotel breakfast buffet. I actually find that I do not want anything to do with American food at all so I mostly had Vnese fried rice which was amazing, some sort of tropical juice. Yummm. We found out, too late, they have a whole Pho bar. This after Teegan had two huge bowls of some other soup so he’s excited about breakfast tomorrow so he can finally have a whole bunch of Pho!

 

In other fun news:

 

This morning I showered (ahhhh) and flooded the bathroom (hahaha) and used up all the hot water in like 5 minutes. I can do faster showers if I know I have to – guess I’ll just shave my legs tomorrow. J

 

We almost got hit by a car walking to breakfast. I know how to walk the streets of Ha Noi but my guard was down and I haven’t fully made the transition yet, I guess. I thought this Expat hotel would be different. It isn’t. At least he didn’t honk at us. I think my deer in the headlights look was enough to freak him out.

 

Teegan and I spent a half hour trying to get a mechanical pencil to work and failed. This is not a good sign of things to come! Haha

 

I was able to call my mom on Skype last night. That was pretty cool.

 

There is a large typhoon hitting central Vietnam tomorrow. Addison and our family should not be affected but I am worried about another orphanage our agency works at in Quang Nam.

 

We can’t use anything electrical. We didn’t bring the right transformers or something. I still don’t really get it. The hotel loans some but they are out. I have no idea how I will do my hair tomorrow.

 

We leave tomorrow at 8am (8pm Oct 31 EST) for Phu Tho where we will travel by car on dirt roads for 2+ hours and then spend a few hours at the orphanage before heading to the Giving & Receiving ceremony where we will officially become Addison’s family. Because it will be such a big trip, we have a lot of preparation to do. It is also Dalton’s birthday so I need to call around and see if I can find a bakery to bring a cake tomorrow evening and wrap a few gifts we brought for him. We should be back from Phu Tho around 5pm or so (which is 5am EST Nov 1)  and I will post when I can although I imagine things might be nuts for a bit settling in with Addison.

 

Tonight the kids are going trick-or-treating. No kidding. We happen to have a bag of candy we brought for this purpose, also very odd don’t you think? So we will TOT at 6pm although the kids are totally freaked out about not having costumes. At least they won’t miss out on Halloween after all AND I didn’t have to make/buy costumes. I win!

 

I forgot to mention yesterday that we have two pretty willow trees in our backyard. We LOVE willow trees so this is a bonus for us. Today it isn’t as hazy so we have had a good view of the lake we are on and the rice paddy workers around it. This morning we watched people kayak across the lake. Oh and I will say that at 6am there were mosquitoes EVERYWHERE. By 9 or so, I think it is too hot and they go away until evening but it is just something to note for those of you traveling up this way in the future. We had only brought a bit of bug spray but we plan to just stay in later or spray up before leaving if we leave earlier in the day.

 

Here’s a poll for you all:

 

If the hotel claims it’s water is treated would you:

 

a)       still boil it before use and rely heavily on bottled water?

b)      Use it as-is for washing dishes, brushing teeth, etc but rely on bottled water for consumption?

c)       Use hotel water as-is for everything?

 

It is a pain to try to be so careful about the water when I’m not sure it is necessary. We read today about some higher compliances that were created for hotel water, anyway, because of APEC. I know our hotel is an APEC hotel so they were affected. But their water was treated before. I’m just not sure what to do. Err on the side of caution? Or moderately? Or not at all?

 

Well, I may update again tonight if I have anything to post but the real updates will begin tomorrow after we get back from the G&R with Addison in tow.

posted by Stepping On Legos at 10/30/2006§


Comments:
You are so prepared...cold meds, birthday presents, Halloween candy. You'll have to help the rest of us pack when our turn comes. Probably don't have to worry about your hair, after spending 1/2 the day in humid weather, no one will know. LOL. Happy Birthday Dalton! Have fun celebrating in Vietnam! Happy Addison day tomorrow. To the whole family, enjoy your G& R tomorrow.
 
I would wash dishes, but not brush teeth. Just a personal thing. Although, I will say that brushing teeth with bottled water sucks. Make sure that Quac shows you where the nearest mini-mart is. You'll be able to buy gallons of water for the same price as the 16oz bottles at the hotel.
I'm so glad that things are working out!! I can't wait to see pictures of Addy Mai!!
 
I'd still either boil the water or used bottled water for everything except for washing the dishes like Nicole said. Happy Halloween and Happy Birthday to Dalton! I can't believe you get Addison TOMORROW - Wow! Have a great day - can't wait to hear all about it when you have time! We'll be thinking about you back here even if you can't update right away. Take lots of pictures!!!
 
Happy Halloween. So awesome to get up and find another post! Love it. Keep'em coming! Hope you feel better soon. Wow, you are just hours away from Addy. I can't imagine how you are feeling right now. She's almost in your arms, forever! Yeah! Hope everything goes smooth tomorrow. I'll be watching the blog for updates! My vote would be for your first option. :-)

Take Care!
 
been stalking your blog several times a day LOL I vote B and I vote you boil a big batch of water and pour it into a pitcher and sigg bottles or whatever in the fridge so you have free safe water for consumption. I'd use as-is for cooking too- I'm reckless like that.
your hair will be fine w/o a blow dryer. Its hot and humid- you weren't going to look "really good" anyway LOL. OMG 13 hours til you get your baby!!! I'm so so excited!!! Happy Birthday Dalton! Have fun ToTing too :)
 
Happy Halloween! Happy Birthday! I am in awe that you brought candy and birthday presents! You are one organized woman! I can't wait to hear about your G&R! As far as the water goes, I hate being sick so I would err on the side of caution and use bottled for consumption/brushing and boiled for everything else except dishes.
 
I'm going with A, better to be over safe than really sorry with a sore butt.
 
rhmSounds like everything is going well so far! I hope your sore throat goes away. I have one too now and it makes me think of you! Your hotel sound great. You have to ask if it'll be used for other big families traveling after you! ;) wink wink

My vote is "b".....use hotel water for washing, brushing, but not drinking. This is how we have always done it in VN and we've never gotten sick. We've even forgotten a few times and drank from the tap with no ill consequences.

Have a WONDERFUL time tomorrow meeting Addison and seeing her orphanage and of course the G&R!!
 
Those pictures are so funny everyone looks so sleepy! Glad to hear everything is running smoothly.
 
Ugh I finally got through. Blogger wouldn't let me in for 2 days!!! Well it wouldn't let me in my own blog so it's not just you! Grrr...

Anyhoo....SO glad you are there and getting adjusted. I am LOVING the pictures!! Purty country :) The sleepy sweet boys are priceless (and sleepy mama LOL).
Halloween??? That is so cool! I'm so glad no one missed out on it :)

Addy....hurry up and get back to hotel and post some pix. Okay I am just being selfish again LOL. Sorry :)

Love you guys and I am not logging off this computer out of fear of not being able to get back in here LOL.

YAYYYYYYYYY Noodle! I wish I was there :) (oops being selfish again)

Love ya'll
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>