7/30/2006
Spoiled Girl Gets Reality Check
Tomorrow very early - much earlier than I ever get up - my dear hubby will be heading out of town for a unplanned break silent retreat from children week-long work emergency. I'm none too happy about this turn of events, mostly because I'm incredibly spoiled. I am blessed with a work-from-home husband with flexible hours and an ability to multi-task like you have never seen. Or at least better than me. It is quite impressive, if not hard on the old self-esteem! He can be on a conference call, doing dishes and making lunch for our 4 year old without even breaking a sweat. Or complaining. Until him, I had no idea that people really truly did these chores without complaining.

As a result, I have become increasingly lazy. Like, for starters, hubby and I have had a deal for over 4 years now that he - the morning person - will get up with our early wakers and I - the parenting-through-the-night person - gets to sleep in as needed. Bliss. Spoiled bliss. Particularly now that there are no wee-ones that need me in the night! So that will be the first - and possibly most-missed - perk of at-home-hubby.

But then there are the errands. I haven't taken a child grocery shopping in years. Despite all those articles I've read by homeschoolers and Good Moms who feel like this activity is not only important but essential, I'm just not diggin' it. And either are they. We part ways at the front door and I return exhausted anyway but they still have energy for unloading the groceries for me. It's a win-win. Of course half the time hubby does this too - again, he doesn't mind, he doesn't even come home exhausted. And at least some of the time he takes kids and doesn't mind this either. Again with the hit to the self-esteem.

I am exceptionally thankful and grateful. Not a single day goes by that I take for granted the gift of this at-home hubby. But.

There are downsides. Like I feel like we are on perpetual vacation for years now and although that might sound nice, it gets old. I crave structure and routine that just isn't possible when we are all home. I actually MISS being the one in charge around here all day. But no matter how guilty I feel or how much I miss doing the dishes, it doesn't seem to be enough to motivate me to do these things when I hate them and hubby seems to find actual real productive pleasure in them. So, a lot of days, I feel useless. And with the feeling of uselessness comes a feeling of guilt. Societal guilt, personal guilt, you name it. And even after five years of this, I still haven't found a really good solution. Or even a really halfway decent solution.

So while I'm going to miss hubster next week, I'm also both nervous and excited about this infrequent opportunity to get the house back as my very own, if only for a few days. I get to cook, clean, do laundry, play with the kids, discipline. It's all on me. And although I'm not thrilled with this last-minute trip, I'm excited about the freedom it will bring for me as a result!

Or at least I was excited until my naive optimism got the better of me and I ignorantly invited our four year old to come grocery shopping with me today in preparation for our week alone. Now I am sure that all those articles I read about the virtues and importance of taking kids shopping are full of it. It's not fun, it is slow, it is annoying to no end. And luckily for me, my four year old isn't even the type to ask for every single thing he sees. Actually I might have preferred that to the endless rambling and loud obsessive kicking of the cart by large-shoed feet overandoverandoverandover. And over. Only interrupted by the too-frequent overzealous kick that lands itself on my shin as I try to push the cart. I considered taking the boy out of the cart. He's old enough to walk. But the implication of such a decision were more than I could bear. I caught myself feeling sorry for me a few times but reminded myself that he's just four and four year old boys are loud and boisterous and they probably all sound like they have ADHD. Until some poor pitying woman turned the corner and before even seeing me, started to go on about how she could hear us from the other end of the (huge) store and did he ever come up for a breath? Boy isn't he a rambler! Usually such things occur to me as rude and inappropriate but I was actually thankful for the validation!

So yeah, I'm looking forward to my week. A little. Maybe a little more nervous than I was this morning. Let's just hope I don't have to go shopping.
posted by Stepping On Legos at 7/30/2006§


Comments:
I've been reading your blog for about a month now, but felt compelled to comment today. I too am blessed with a very capable hubby who definately does a lot for our household. I'm beginning to have a bit of a panic attack at the thought of him going away for four days next week, and we only have four children!
Hang in there!
 
I also have a husband who does a ton of housework, I think I would freak right out if he left for a week. Surely the house would look like something exploded.

WHO says children should go grocery shopping? Are they INSANE? Yes, yes they are. My son only goes grocery shopping if both of us are going to the grocery store (which, actually, happens more often than not.) But, if only one of us is going, the boy does not go. Yikes.

Good luck this week!

Gretchen
 
Amy - rest assured I only have THREE kids here this week! Haha You have me beat - be afraid, very afraid! Just kidding :-)
 
I went shopping last night too but I didn't take the 4yo. Our local Safeway likes to put the tubs of RedVines on the bottom shelf of every end-cap. So, to avoid the fits, I just leave him behind. As I was walking down the aisles last night I was thinking, "how sad, the first day I get out of the house, I go to the store...how mom-of-2-of-me."
And you know what, Matt and I have the same arrangement with the babies in the night and in the morning. It's not unfair...it's called 50-50.
 
This made me smile. I feel quite confident that you are more than able to do a wonderful job with the hubby gone.

Your 4 year old is so funny. Every time you tell a story about him, I crack up. He is a handful!
 
I never appreciate how much my hubby does until he works late or has to go out of town. It is hard doing the single parent thing!
My solution to bringing the youngest to the grocery store: Leapster. With Headphones. She's in her own little world - *learning* - and I get the groceries done. Everybody's happy. :-)
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>