7/26/2006
Scrapbooking Nicki-style: or Why I Never Get Anything Done
So yesterday I got out all my scrapbooking stuff, inspired by a new book I bought on scrapbooking. I laid it all out, I got out my pictures, I decided on a few pages I wanted to make and then I set about the task of deciding how to lay them out. I got out my embelishments, my papers, my stickers, my alphabets. And I just stared. My pictures don't look good with my pink paper at all. I don't know what to do.

So I open my new book and flip through it and get some good ideas but none just right for a lifebook or baby book or whatever. Maybe half my problem is I'm not sure exactly what these pages are for yet - lifebook or baby book. Each would require a different slant entirely.

So I pop online and go to twopeas and start searching the adoption gallery for ideas. I easily spend hours doing this, saving layouts I find particularly inspirational. I stop to read a few of the layouts to find out how they were made and see a trend - many people are making digital layouts these days. Digital layouts? I consider this. I can use a computer with the best of 'em. I can make webpages. Maybe I can make digital layouts!

But it's late so I go to bed.

This morning I wake up and pop online and discover that twopeas ha a bunch of digital layouts for free. I download them all. Then what? I don't know what to do with them. I can't figure out how to make those into a layout that I love any more than I can the actual products still scattered around my bedroom floor. So I read the FAQ about digital layouts. How do you print them? How much would that cost? How do you put them all together? I play around with some freebie templates and love them but decide that I can't handle doing a whole layout digitally and trying to figure out where and how to print a 12x12 layout in high enough quality to actually use.

I go back to the gallery and search for more inspirational layouts. I finally find one I am settled on for my first page. I decide I am not cut out for digital scrapbooking but I CAN wrap my brain around making some elements, quotes, poems, journaling on the computer. But I don't have any good fonts, despite my husband's claim that I have the biggest font collection in the world. I don't. So off I go on a search for free fonts online. I spend an easy 2 hours finding and downloading free fonts I love. By the time I'm done I can't remember what I was looking for, specifically, or what layout inspired me to begin with.

24 hours later and I have yet to stick an actual picture on paper or print a thing.

And this, my friends, is why I have 7 kids and 12 years of photos an entire closet of scrapbooking supplies but only 3 completed scrapbooking pages to show for it!
posted by Stepping On Legos at 7/26/2006§


Comments:
Bwahahahaha! I share in your syndrome. I haven't bought the scrapping supplies, though. Yet. Like sirens, they sing my name and tempt me towards the rocks. Seven kids, boxes of photos. I hear the pretty paper and embellishments calling me....
 
oh my gosh, I can totally relate. That's why I do almost all my scrapbook at all-day or weekend workshops... no distractions, all these women busily working around me so I feel the pressure to do something, plus stickers and idea books and tools right there to help when I get stuck. I'm like 2-3 years behind, but I've decided I'll have plenty of time to catch up when our next is empty. ;-)
 
I have a scrapbook room, all kinds of neat tools, paper of every kind and 5 scrapbooks only halfway done. I have good intentions but always get sidetracked before I finish a book. We got back from disney 3 weeks ago and I have half the trip done and I WILL finish this book!! I hope? ;)
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>