7/23/2006
Craft Crazy
Ok, for those of you who read this blog merely for the adoption news, my apologies as I go off on this crafty tangent. It is adoption related as most of my crafts, these days, are inspired by or for baby Addy. So, yeah, they are sort of interconnected.

Here are the projects I'm in the middle of:

  1. Scrapbooking: today I plan to start Addy's lifebook. I have been searching high and low for a telephone diecut/cut-out/embelishment/sticker. Nada. Anyone know where I can get one? Google has let me down.
  2. Knitting: I made a lot of headway on Addy's cardigan while I was out of town. I finished the main body and half of one sleeve. I'm SO eager to finish it. I also picked up a very cute hat pattern and picked out the yarn I want for that but have not yet purchased it (personal goal - finish first project before buying yarn for second). A friend also gave me the cutest pattern for some felted baby ballerina slippers. So hopefully I can pick up some sweet soft pink wool for those - they should be super fast to knit up.
  3. Quilting: I have like 85 quilt squares for Addy's 100 wishes quilt. Amazing. I haven't even asked friends and family yet! Quilt swaps are a fast fun way to get it done, for sure! But in bigger news, I finally found the perfect quilt pattern to use. I spent most of my vacation looking around for exactly this and found lots of great ideas but nothing was exactly right. Then I got this great idea to do a picture quilt with an imagine of a cute Vietnamese girl and a friend suggested I add circles around the border in various fabrics. Getting closer. Then I stumbled upon this quilt when I got home and knew it was exactly what I wanted to do! I asked hubby to sketch me up the girl based on this precious moments Vietnamese doll and his version is totally perfect! I made the applique pattern this morning and cut it out and I think it will work perfectly. Now I just need to keep my eye out for the perfect fabric for the doll, herself. I am considering getting ao dai fabric from our trip to Vietnam to use for the ao dai in the quilt but I wanted it done before she got home so I might settle for some local silk brocade. I can't wait to get started - it is going to be so precious when it is done!!!! In non-Addy news (yes, I do have SOME of that), I also picked up like 4 or 5 new applique quilt patterns while on vacation - mostly seasonal/holiday wall hangings. I love them so! I also have a few quilt square swaps to finish up: my world quilt swap (my theme is Vietnam - I'm stuck on fabric - any ideas?!), little girls swap and a batik's swap.
  4. Sewing: I have to help my son sew up a pillow case. Should be easy enough but hrm - I dunno. I'm so not good without a pattern. I'm a slave to a pattern. Then I need to start working on a mei tai for Addy but I am reluctant because it will be soooo hot. I want to make something really special and beautiful but anything like that will be way too icky to wear in the heat. Then again - northern Vietnam in October? Maybe I can get away with it? I also want to learn how to sew a fabric backing onto a knitting blanket. I saw one in a pattern book I restrained myself from buying and really REALLY would love to do this. It was precious. But the thing I'm most excited about is a ribbon swap my quilt group is doing so that we can make taggie-style blankets. I have wanted to make one of these all year but the idea of buying all that ribbon was overwhelming. Now I'm just thrilled to be able to finally get it done. I bet Addy will love it! Noah won't be jealous at all - he absolutely hates tags of any kind, even on stuffed animals. I have to carry scissors in my purse because you never know when a tag-inspired fit of rage will overcoming him. So no taggie blankets for him! haha


So now you all know how I'm keeping busy until it is time to travel :-)
posted by Stepping On Legos at 7/23/2006§


Comments:
Sounds like fun! My stack of good wishes quilt squares is pretty impressive too - haven't counted yet. I'm going with a really simple 6" square pattern w/ small (2" maybe?) red squares appliqued on the corners. I'm going to tie quilt it with red yarn. Should be cute. Your pattern is awesome (beyond my ability to ever finish, but awesome.)

For a diecut, try Ebay. I'll look at our scrapbook store this weekend if you want me to - I think they have one. I'm working on Gert's baby book right now, almost done (yay!) and it's been a great time. And of course there's her Christmas stocking & cross-stitch baby sampler. I may have to go blog about it all! :D
 
Could you come and make that quilt for me too? Seriously, that is awesome that you can do that. Addy is very lucky! Keep us posted with how all of your crafts turn out.
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>