3/30/2006
Boo hiss
So today we found out we made a cataclysmic error in calculations re: the expense of adopting two babies. There is just no way in the world that we could possibly afford it. It would be another $13,000+ which is $almost 5000 more than we anticipated. We would have to come up with in CASH on top of the remaining adoption expenses which we are also paying cash for. Basically what we would save is the application fee, the cost of travel and the cost of the homestudy update. I don't know if we'll end up adopting again in a few years or not but there is no way we can do 2 now unless, by some miracle, a sibling group or twins become available.

I thought I'd be very upset but I'm surprisingly ok. Just ok. Not thrilled. Not depressed. A little miffed that I was misled by SOMEONE and can't figure out who (can't find the emails, but I think it might have been by another client at my agency and not my agency themselves) but it was probably totally my misunderstanding and not their fault. I think the financial burden as-we-knew-it was already weighing so heavily on my mind that the instant relief this news brings sort of balances out the disappointment. It'll be one baby for us. It will probably be easier, less stressful, better for everyone this way, right?

In other news: we STILL have not received a receipt or fingerprint letter for our I-600a which was submitted on March 17. Bummer. Hopefully next week, but maybe not.

We DID receive my consular report of birth (x3) and Dh's birth certificate (x3) - now we are ready for anything! LOL Tomorrow maybe we'll go get DH's passport and Noah's passport.

In non-adoption news: I am staying off the computer except for work purposes until after 5pm now. It distracts me too much from the kids and it is too easy to become consumed with adoption news (wait -wasn't this non-adoption news?!). I still have to sew up Noah's carrier and my stepMom is coming in a few days. This weekend we are picking up a kayak (LONG awaited). It is really nice and warm here - almost 70 today. It won't last but it hopefully won't get freezing again any time soon. Yesterday while I was out shopping, I twisted my ankle very badly. I wasn't sure I'd be able to drive but it passed enough that driving or walking wasn't a problem. But it hurts. Not agony but that kind of pain that is like a dull headache where you don't really notice it constantly but it is annoying enough that it makes you cranky without even realizing why. So I've been cranky all day since I've been NOT sitting at the computer and a) running around and doing stuff or b) feeling angry and annoyed that I have things I want to do and can't because of my dumb injury.

Dinner tonight: dog. I am so incredibly annoyed at my stupid dogs. I am ready to put bark collars back on both of them - they won't shut up! But of course the collars don't work and just emit a high-pitched noise along with the bark which quadruples my annoyance. I am sure that is just my ankle talking. But they better watch their backs.

I have more news that I'll post at my private blog.
posted by Stepping On Legos at 3/30/2006§


Comments:
Wait... so it costs almost twice as much for 2 unrelated kids, but not twice as much if the children are siblings?
 
Yeah, it makes sense. I guess it would be more difficult to place two kids that can't be placed seperatly, so the fees would be lower. You know what I mean? Siblings need to be placed together but non-related kids are usually placed in different families that pay seperate fees.
 
Right - two unrelated siblings are considered two completely separate adoptions. Really on different than going through the process twice except you don't have to travel twice. Two siblings would be considered ONE adoption, so you would only need ONE dossier for the "group", one G&R, etc.
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>