10/11/2006
PoshPouch, Packing and Vacuum Justification

PoshPouch Premium Carrier Cover - Pink

Today my Pink PoshPouch came. So NOW I am ready to bring Addison home. Just in time for snow. Ever since I found out that it is not safe to have a kid wear a big heavy coat while in a car seat, I've been shopping for alternatives. Apparently those car seat covers that go inside the car seat are also unsafe. What's a Midwesterner to do? Enter: PoshPouch. It simply goes on top of the car seat, a practice considered safe by car seat safety advocates. So she will stay warm under her furry cocoon but will remain safe. And also? It is so so so cute!!!!!

In other preparing-to-travel news: I started packing today. Like actually packing. Once I started I pretty much could not stop which was frustrated because I had to. But I'm excited about the progress made. Can you all give me some feedback? Does 3 checked bags and 2 wheeled carry-ons plus 2-3 smaller carry-ons seem excessive for the 5 of us (plus the baby)? I don't want to be one of those obnoxious over-packed families with 1000 pieces of luggage but I am having a very hard time reducing the amount of luggage considering the amount of people we are traveling with. So be honest - is this just too much?

I started organizing my medicines into Ziploc bags by age-of-recipient: one bag for us adults, one bag for the kids, one bag for the baby. Then I have a bag of first-aid items plus a tiny bag of keep-close-at-hand items for one of the carry-on backpacks. Stuff we will need during the flight. Here's my problem....I am paranoid about losing these drugs in transit so I want to bring them all carry-on. I'm weighing my options: be a total pain in the butt at security by declaring some and doing the 1-quart-Ziploc for the others or just take my chances and store them all in checked luggage. I could lose everything else but it is the meds that I am most concerned about. I know there are some meds readily available in Vietnam but if one of my kids is sick, I'd prefer to rely on tried and true remedies at my fingertips.

And finally to those incredibly rude people who commented about my vacuum obsession - haha - here's the story: I have a great floor cleaner. It's new. but it's big and heavy. And I have two shed-y dogs and 6 shed-y kids. So I need something a little more convenient for everyday sweeping. I finally decided to get a stickvac, cordless, lightweight. So I was going to get the Dirt Devil Broomvac even though it has spotty reviews. But when I got to Target, they had another As Seen On TV (which means it MUST be good) floor sweeper and it was $15 cheaper and had a lot of really cool functions that the BroomVac did not. So I bought them both so I could try them both and RETURN (thankyouverymuch) the one I dislike more.....since you know neither will be Just Right. I've only tried the As Seen On TV sweeper and it is *ok*. I really love some of the features but it isn't strong enough to pick up the individual pieces of dog hair - just the big clumps. I'm not sure the BroomVac will fare any better though. So now it all makes sense, right?

 

 

posted by Stepping On Legos at 10/11/2006§


Comments:
That poshpouch thing is adorable!! And yay about the packing! I'm thinking of starting... yet I'm afraid... sigh! Let me know if either of those vacuums works for you. I got the dyson and I'm *hating* it but besides that it would be nice to have something lighter for quick clean-ups.
 
I'm very impressed that you can get stuff for 5 people into 3 check in bags and 2 carryons - that sounds like a totally reasonable amount to travel with. I already know I'll have at least that much and there will only be 3 of us on the way there and 4 on the way back. Traveling light has never been my forte! :) My main advice would be to pack at least one outfit for each of you in each bag so that if a bag gets lost (which happened to my Mom on our last trip to Vietnam) one person isn't stuck with nothing to wear. As far as the meds go, each person can carry 1 gallon zip lock bag so if you each take one of those you should be able to take a lot of meds carry-on that way. Happy packing. Wow - packing - that must make it seem real that you're going soon!!!
 
Hey Nicki. The PoshPouch is very cool! Sounds like you've been very busy, more than normal! You are amazing. It sounds like you've thought of everything and are going to be very organized before your mom's surgery. Praying for you all!! Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm so excited for you.
 
I am so excited to hear you will be traveling super duper quick. That is a lot of luggage, but I'm sure you are packing just what you need. I use those space bags when I pack and they help, clothes come out really wrinkled, but for socks, underware and jammies, they work great. I also heard the suggestion to have the babies clothes in labeled large baggies, such as onesies, pants, etc. so when you need just pants or the like you know exactly where they are. Happy packing and I truly cannot wait to hear about your trip.
 
YAY on travelling :-)

But I had to comment on your what-so-called justification of the multiple vacuums. I have known you for a long time and this is NOT a one time occurance. LOLOLOL!!! I am totally convinced you suffer from vacuum-obsessive disorder. But hey, I enjoy living in denial as well :)

Ya know I love you to death!!!
Big smooch!
 
Your vacuum obsession has rubbed off on me, it's all I look at online these days.... and honestly, I don't have time to look with Mike leaving for China in less than 2 weeks !!!
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>