9/04/2006
Part 2: I miss my baby!
So while our vacation was nice and enjoyable, I just couldn't shake that feeling that something - or someone - was missing. Ironically, or maybe not, this was supposed to be our sort of last hurrah. An outing with the "big kids", doing all those things we won't be able to do - or at least not as easily - once Addy-Mai comes home. But, instead, all I could think about was how empty my arms felt. More than once, I uttered the phrase "I miss my baby".

This might sound strange to someone who has never experienced an adoption before and maybe some of you who have! But I really do miss my baby. It's completely selfish. I'm not worried about her, I don't fear for her life or her health. I think she is in excellent hands, all things considered. I'm not terribly upset that she is getting older without me. But I miss my baby. I feel the emptiness in my own home, my own life. I really miss having a baby - any baby. But I especially miss THIS baby. I yearn to be able to hold her, to feed her, to cuddle her and induce smiles and laughter. I yearn to bathe her, to rock her to sleep, even to change her tiny baby diapers. I really yearn to just *know* her in a way that I can't quite glean from a photo.
I am starting to have that heart-stopping nausea-inducing occasion bouts of grief that I haven't experienced for at least two months - since my days of waiting and waiting for a referral, for just wanting to *know* who my daughter is, what her name is, where she is on this Earth and what her face looks like. Now I know that face, I know that intense look in her eyes. I want to be her Mama, I want to learn her needs and meet them. I want to carry her close to my heart like a permanent attachment to my body. I miss her. Without her, my home, my arms and my heart feels empty.

So yesterday I changed the ticker (yet again). Now it reflects my time until travel - a countdown. I don't have travel dates yet - just a firmer and firmer general idea of travel. So even if this countdown is off by a few days, it is enough to keep me going, to keep me motivated. We are getting close, right? We are half way through our wait to travel. The fall will be busy, it will fly by. We will keep busy. I have projects and goals all lined up to keep me busy until we travel. I hope the time flies as quickly as I need it to.
posted by Stepping On Legos at 9/04/2006§


Comments:
(((hugs))) I hope it flies by too
 
I'm sorry this is a difficult time for you. It seems the waiting, well all of it is difficult, but especially to see, meet and hold your baby is hard too. I hope this time goes by really quickly.
 
I hear ya. Oh girl do I hear ya. As much as it aches I tell myself it's a good thing because it's like God's growing the love before we ever even meet. And what a miracle it will be when at last we hold our longed-for, deeply missed child in our arms. Hope your ticker is accurate, or possibly even an overestimate!
 
soon...your sweetie will be here soon. and then we will all be celebrating with you!
Christa
 
I really do feel like I'm taking this journey with you Nicki! I try to empathize with you and understand what you are feeling and this blog has made that easier for me. I understand, you miss your baby :) And your words make me step back and appreciate mine so much more. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, feelings, and emotions with us!
 
Hi Nicki,

I traced your comment on my blog back to your page here. Wow! I didn't know there were so many other blogs! I am new to this thing. Anyway, this entry really hits home with me. I know how you feel and I am starting to get those adoption blues myself. I knew it would happen as I have been through it several times before. It doesn't get any easier each time either! You are not far away from travel though. Hang in there! It won't be long till all these pains are a world behind you and you'll have a hard time remembering what life was like without her!

~Michelle
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>