8/23/2006
My friends and family are so cool!
So I'm collecting for a 100 Good Wishes quilt which I'm just about ready to start cutting and sewing. I have the pattern all picked out and all the fabric I need to complete the quilt top. Most of my wishes and fabrics are from various square/wish swaps I've participated in. But I've finally started getting some from friends and family and they are, of course, the most special of all.

My best friend D~ brought me my first squish (square/wish). Even though she lives across the country and she was traveling all the way up here to stay for 3 weeks, by herself, with her three little boys she managed to remember to do this for Addison. This means so much :-)

My other friend D~ brought me a beautiful piece of sari fabric, representative of her family's culture. Aside from being totally gorgeous, it is very meaningful as well. Her wish is adorable, to boot. I am tempted to use the fabric for the main ao dai dress for the Vietnamese girl applique that I'm putting at the top of the quilt. It is THAT gorgeous.

My brother sent me a bunch of fabric from his first ever hunting shirt. My brother is a serious bow hunter and he's very spiritual about it. He even makes his own bows and never takes more than he can use from the world. I really respect this about him and am proud of his skill and ability and the spirituality he brings into this area of his life. Although some people might be grossed out by such a fabric, I think it is totally cool the level of spirit and soul that has possessed it in this lifetime. It is the first swatch I have that has actually been warn before. I am inclined to follow suit and cut up a piece of baby clothes from each of my boys to use for the quilt as well.

I know several other friends have made me quilt squares and I can't wait to see them.

Also my Mom is working on her square and wish. She hasn't chosen a fabric yet but it planning on writing a wish about the parallel between her and Addison since they were both adopted. This is incredibly cool, to me. I'm so eager to see what she comes up with!

So that's why my friends and family are so cool.


In crafty news: I'm just about done knitting Addison's cardigan that matches her dress I finished a few months ago. today I also cut out the fabric for two taggies-style blankets - one 18x18 and the other 36x36. I used some of that ultra-soft fancy fleece for one side and soft satin for the other. It is so textually pleasing that I may want to keep it for myself! haha

In travel news: To clarify yesterday's blog post, I am not talking about moving per se, or even a vacation. I don't like the implication of the word "vacation" that you will be coming back and I don't like the implication of the word "moving" that you won't! Haha. So I think I may leave next week and stay gone or come back and forth until we are ready to travel to Vietnam. I am resisting the (huge) urge to plan it all out, map it, make reservations, make lists. Today I almost bought airline tickets to Vegas for $7.77 OW for October. But once you plan it out you are committed and this is an exercise is non-commitment, spontaneity, an exercise in actually living life and not just following a plan. So where we'll go, when we'll return....those are all up in the air and if I meet my goal, they will continue to stay up in the air!
posted by Stepping On Legos at 8/23/2006§


Comments:
Addy's quilt is going to be so amazing. Could you make Lucy's!! Come on... just do it! I have missed you lately.
 
I'm so jealous. I've tried so many times to sew and quilt. It is not my gifting but I love homemade things. My mother used to make some of my clothes for me and put a tag in it that said "Made by Mom". She made afgans and quilts too. The things you're making for your kids will mean so much to them throughout their lives.

Melissa
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>