6/23/2006
Week One: A Smashing Hit
Well we are done with Summer Vacation: Week One. I'm exhausted but it was a fun week. Today was "video day" and I had hubby go pick up the video so I spent the day running errands by myself. Rough, huh?

Thanks for all the thoughts and nice emails yesterday. I really appreciate it. My uncle was in his 60's, very active, in good health, the epitome of "larger than life". His organs will be harvested and I feel pretty good about that. I'm very worried about my Daddy, though. I wish there was something I could do. The funeral will be next week, I assume.


I'm feeling temporarily optimistic on the adoption front. I know it comes in waves so I'm enjoying it while it lasts. I don't expect a referral any time soon but today, at least, I feel like some day a referral might come. Usually I can't even imagine it. So that's something.

Yesterday the kids made dinner. They spent all week planning, looking up recipes, shopping and cooking. They decided to make chips and homemade salsa for the appetizer, beef nachos (with homemade guacamole) and corn bread for dinner and real (as in not chocolate pudding) french silk pie with homemade whipped cream for dessert. yummm. They did a fabulous job and even made us eat on the good plates instead of paper! haha. High class! They were all about presentation. And the salsa was to die for!! They spent all day today cleaning up their mess and I'm pretty sure they all have a decent idea, now, of what goes into planning a meal, shopping for it, cooking it and cleaning up.

Our 4yo has been quite a character lately. He has to break everything apart and decipher it. He told me recently that he hoped I'd never ever become pregnant. When I told him it wasn't a possibility he was visibly relieved. Turns out he saw some discovery channel show where someone or something died in childbirth. Apparently it weighed heavily on his poor 4 year old mind. Yesterday I also forced myself to take him to the community center pool for the first time. On the drive there he announced that he'd like to learn a new shape every day and wanted to start with the cylinder. Today it's the sphere. He has had a lot of questions, lately, about his "baby sister" and babies, in general. He asked if they all come out naked and if our baby would be naked when we picked her up in Vietnam. He wanted to know if she has already been born (and is convinced she has not) and if she would be walking and talking by the time we pick her up (convinced that she will). At one point during the conversation (all of this on the drive to the community center) I guess I responded with a hint of sadness and he picked right up on it and demanded to understand why I answered his question in "a sad tone".
I just told him that waiting is hard and makes me sad sometimes. I could learn a thing or two about patience from him. The community center was a blast. He had a lot of fun pretending to be a pixie seahorse and sliding down the water slide. He even let me dunk him once. He did ask if I would buy him ear plugs, nose plugs and goggles! He absolutely hates to get water in his ears. So I think he'll learn to swim as long as every orifice that can be blocked or plugged gets blocked or plugged!

So that concludes my week. A lot of good, a little bad, but we'll keep on keeping on.
posted by Stepping On Legos at 6/23/2006§


Comments:
How great that the kids made such a wonderful meal and cleaned up after themselves. I just got back from 5 days at the cottage with 4 kids and surprisingly enough I am feeling full of energy. N. is so cute, I miss him.
 
That's funny. Your son sounds exactly like my nephew at that age.
 
Wow, what skills your kids have Nicki ! I so wish I would have let Robby experiment in the kitchen more. The poor guy can only make Ramen... Sounds like you had a very productive week. Miss you bunches !!
 
That is a great way to put it- the optimism and pessimism about getting a referral comes in waves.

The other day M told me everything moves in waves.

The referral wave must start way in the back.
 
Your kids sound great. I especially enjoy the 4 year old's comments. Hope this is a good week for us all!
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>