6/27/2006
Thank Goodness It's (almost not) Tuesday
Scratch what I said yesterday. Today has been pretty stinky too. But I'm proud of myself - I plowed through the day and didn't let my almost-all-consuming desire to break down stop me.

We are having some, um, communication problems with our agency. One might call that an understatement. I'm just trying to push through until we get our referral and focus on the positive while enjoying Chel's travel to get her baby, vicariously. I have also started researching for our future (and final) adoption. I have been looking into Rwanda and Belize. Two very different countries with two very similar themes: neither have adoption agencies! Oh my how this appeals to me today, especially!

Today was "video day" which meant that I had no real commitments or places to drag the kids for fun and entertainment. A few days ago I suggested to Noah that he needed a haircut. He thought about it and said "I'd like to go to the salon". I have always cut his hair - he has literally never had a hair on his body cut by someone other than me. Not that I prefer this, mind you. He's just a little temperamental stubborn hesitant. So this was good news. He later explained that "he heard salon cuts are faster". Yes this is a personal reflection on my speed and efficacy as a makeshift beautician and not an inaccurate one, to be honest! Finally, today, we made the trip but not before he managed to finagle a bribe that included feeding the Rainforest Cafe alligator some of my hard earned pennies and buying some ball he had his eye on at the cafe gift shop. I threw in Dairy Queen for good measure. What use is running errands if DQ isn't involved? The haircut went swimmingly. We picked up Hoodwinked for Video Day on the way home and called it a day.

Tomorrow is my Uncle's funeral. I am dreading it completely. And I'm wearing open-toed shoes. And dressing my kids not-in-black. None of this would be a big deal except that the last funeral I went to I made the mistake of dressing in a color-other-than-black only to discover upon arrival at the service that I was expected to be paraded in front of the congregation as immediate family of the deceased (the rest of whom were all wearing black, of course). I stuck out like a sore thumb. Of course this isn't all that concerns me about this particular funeral. My mother is going. In fact, I am her ride. And I was put in charge with the task of ok'ing this with my father (they are divorced). I failed in my duties. She's nervous, I'm uncomfortable but faking it. And then there are all the strange family issues to contend with. I bet you are all giddy with anticipation! Plus funerals are very sad and I don't particularly like the dichotomy of going from a very emotional funeral to the very upbeat funeral reception. I thought I mistakenly called it a reception the other day until my Mother reassured me that they are, indeed, called receptions now. Odd. Regardless, in my experience they tend to be pretty jovial affairs. In our family that old adage holds true that the only time we see each other are weddings and funerals. I'm sure my blog entry tomorrow will be a doozie.

Ok, if I can just wade through this week, get through this funeral, iron out all these problems with our agency and get through my Dad's visit this week, I will be home free. July will be a great month, I can feel it in my bones. But June - man oh man. Maybe you have to hit rock bottom to really appreciate the rest. I promise I'll appreciate July, ok? Any month that starts out with the anniversary of the day I met my best friend and husband has got to be great.

posted by Stepping On Legos at 6/27/2006§


Comments:
Sorry you had a stinky Tuesday. I did too. What's with that? July has to be better. I can imagine all the angst in your family funeral activities because I know how it would be with my wacky family. I'll be thinking of you!
 
I KNOW that July is going to be a better month!! I just wish that it would hurry up and get here.
 
I'm sending love and strength for tomorrow.
July is also the month T. and I were born, that's good too, right? Love ya!
 
I have yet to take my kids to get hair cuts at a salon. It is hard for me to pay for it, but I am going to do this soon.

Do you have an activity for each day of the week (i.e. video day)? What are your other days? This sounds like a good idea.

Looking forward to July too. Might bring new referrals.
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>