6/30/2006
It's Friday, It's Friday
The last day of June! The end of this hellacious month has finally arrived!!!

Yesterday Dh kicked my butt outside and got me to do some landscaping. That led to someone's brilliant idea to build our new trampoline. We've built trampolines before - it is grueling work. But whatever. Hubby soon went inside for a work phone call leaving me and two whiny kids to help build. I finally sent them in - working alone in peace and quiet is better than help-with-whining. Then it started to pour. And most of the trampoline required two people, so I quit. Later, when hubby was available, we made progress - with only one trip to two different hardware stores for tools - but we still have to finish today. Man, what a job!!!!!

We went to our favorite fireworks show last night. Neither of us wanted to go but I committed by asking the kids if they wanted to - knowing they would. I knew I'd regret it if we didn't go.

Usually this particular fireworks event is attended by a hornet's nest of political signature-seekers and proselytizer. I don't like proselytizing of any variety but these seekers, themselves, happen to be firmly seated on the opposite end of the political spectrum as my family. So it is either unfun or entertaining (depending on if I'm in a debating mood or not) but this year I wasn't looking forward to it. I saw them, like vultures, waiting as we headed to find our seats. So I was prepared. But when one poor unfortunate soul approached me alone (the family was off seeking snacks) - I let him have it. I wanted to put a stop to his schpiel immediately. The look of stun on his face was priceless. He stuttered and stammered and finally, slowly, kept on with his schpiel. Having said my bit, I had nothing left to do but listen to him and, as he droned on, my skepticism melted into open-mindedness and I was soon horrified to discover that he represented a cause that I not only believe in but consider myself to be an active advocate for! It is a cause I write articles about frequently and have actively advocated for in the past. I was mortified!!!! So consider this a lesson learned, the hard way. When the vultures did, eventually, attack I was much kinder than I have been in the past. And I have a new strategy, now. Next year I'm wearing an "I heart Buddha" hat. We'll see how it works.

It was beautiful perfect weather - we drove in the rain but it cleared by the time we arrived. When the first star came out, Noah wished that his baby sister would come home soon. ::sniff:: Other holidays have come and gone but I admit that this one is the most poignant for me. The Fourth is when I met my hubby for the first time, eight years ago. We talked about how she would be with us next year and Noah was very excited. Almost as excited as me!

In adoption news: I have a hunch we will not see referrals until after approx the 20th of July. Just a hunch. But we have a busy July so we'll just have to hang in there. You all can expect to read a brand new Nicki starting tomorrow when I come alive with positive energy! haha. Seriously, I know July is my golden month (and not just because of our referral). I can't wait! I am going to celebrate July by picking up my knitting needles. I haven't touched them since I packed away all the baby stuff - clothing, toys, scrapbooking supplies, etc. last month. I left the knitting out but did not touch it. But tomorrow is a new day and I will knit again.
posted by Stepping On Legos at 6/30/2006§


Comments:
Oh nicki!! I'm so glad that you're feeling better (or will be tomorrow.) I look forward to talking to the brand new Nicki! :-)
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>