11/20/2006
What Are You Thankful For?
I am taking Jenn's challenge and sharing my own thankfulness this morning.

Frivolously and immediately, I am thankful that my 4 year old only woke up 2 times during the night and had a decent night's sleep for the first time since we returned home from Vietnam last Wednesday. I am doubly thankful that Addison also had a decent night and only a rough morning of frequent waking. Yay for a good night's sleep for both adults in this house! Also, my older two boys both are completely over their jetlag which I am infinitely grateful for.

But on a more serious level, I am thankful for daughter and all her bits and pieces: those beautiful eyes that light up when she sees me, her pudgy little cheeks - proof that she is growing and thriving with our love and care, her amazing smile that she flashes constantly whenever we walk into view, her sweet fingers that reach for us when we are what she needs, her small feet that barely fit into her socks and tights and yet still hold her weight as she grows by leaps and bounds, her sweet hair that smells like sugar and sticks straight up and is getting darker by the day as it gets longer, her tiny ears, tags and all, that my 4 year old says look like "flowers blooming"....the list is endless.

I am thankful for my children who have such strong characters and even stronger intuitions. Who are giving and empathic and endlessly patient with their baby sister's needs. Who welcome this sweet angel into our lives like she has been there since the day we all decided, together, to adopt. Who fight over who will care for her, hold her, love her, play with her and feed her next. Who make me proud in everything they do and say and remind me exactly what is important in life, when push comes to shove.

I am thankful for my husband who happens to be the best Baby-Daddy you will ever meet. Addison prefers him to all others and he never acts burdened or put out, confused or overwhelmed by her needs. He isn't afraid to parent her and was seen many times around Ha Noi with all four kids by himself, the baby tucked happily in the sling. He has already taken her to run errands and took all four kids to the movies by himself. He keeps the bottles clean and tries to help in the ways that he thinks are most helpful to me. He loves me the best that he knows how and never gives up, even when things are impossibly difficult in our lives.

Last but not least, I am thankful for my friends - my local friends, my blog friends and of course my Texas Mamas who have stood by my side through the last 11 months of pretty serious depression, dysfunction and failed commitments on my part. I am thankful they haven't given up on me and always remind me of my potential and root me on or given me their shoulder when I needed it most. I love you all.

The list could go on and on but I'll stop there. This is a good experience and I encourage you all to do like Jenn and share your thanks - big and small.
posted by Stepping On Legos at 11/20/2006§


Comments:
Nothing like a good cry over my coffee. Thanks for a beautiful post Nicki.
 
Sob
Sniffle
Wiping away my tears!
I love you dearly and I am thankful for you as well! What's the point of all this if you don't have people to love?

Sobbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
 
So glad you are all sleeping better that really is a blessing. Miss Addison is certainly a precious gift. We got home with our daughter last year on the night before Thanksgiving..we were exhausted but sooo Thankful to have her home finally!! Blessings to your family this holiday season.
 
What a great post of thanks! We are all thankful to have you as our friend as well. And yeah to better sleep for the little ones!`
 
((Nicki)) You and your family are so amazing. When I curse the high price of gas, not being able to see you more often is one of the reasons why.
 
What an awesome post!!! We love you and your family too, Nicki, and I thank my lucky stars for you every single day! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your new family....you have soooo much to be thankful for!
 
Oh, that was beautiful, it made me cry too.
 
Post a Comment


Profile:
Name: Stepping On Legos
Stepping On Legos Stepping On Legos Home: TX, United States
About Me:

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Addy-Mai. Make your own badge here.
Highlights:
Our Adoption Timeline
Our Referral!!!
The Sedona Hotel
Common Adoption Abbreviations
Packing Lists
Baby Shopping
Ethical Agency List

/body>